Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Reverb 10: What's in a name?

Prompt: New name. Let's meet again, for the first time. If you could introduce yourself to strangers by another name for just one day, what would it be and why?


heath·er [heth-er]
–noun
1. any of various heaths, esp. Calluna vulgaris, of England and Scotland, having small, pinkish-purple flowers.
–adjective
2. (of a yarn or fabric color) subtly flecked or mottled: all-cotton turtlenecks in your choice of five solid colors plus heather gray and heather green.
[Origin: 1300–50; sp. var. of hether, earlier hedder, hadder, hather, ME hathir; akin to heath]

—Related forms
heathered, adjective

That is what my name means. I tell people I'm named after a shrub. Growing up, I knew lots of girls with my name. I hated it. When there was more then one of us together, it was confusing because you had to figure out who they were talking to. Over the years, I have grown to like my name. Not love, just like.

Enter belly dancing. Heather is not the most exotic stage name out there so I won't be using it. This has been a topic of discussion since solo night. I don't have a stage name and am having a hard time coming up with one. I want something that stands out and embraces me, not only as a dancer, but as a person. Any suggestions?

No comments: