Monday, December 6, 2010

Reverb 10: Make

December 6: Make. What was the last thing you made? What materials did you use? Is there something you want to make, but you need to clear some time for it?

When I read this, I laughed.

We were told we had to have a touch of plaid. Great, we thought. We went to the fabric store, bought a few yards each of plaid fabric. Excited to get started on our panel skirts, we headed to my apartment. That's where it gets interesting.

I had never sewn before. We put my moms sewing machine on my kitchen table, putting the thread where it goes. We cut our fabric, measuring each other. Pin where it needs it. We put the fabric on the sewing machine. Start to sew. Nothing happens. Trying again. Three more times. The bobbin comes undone. Try to get it back in. This continues for about thirty minutes. Oh, did I mention it was super hot in my apartment. Yeah, that's a completely different story. We finally give up and call our friend, Candice. She's magic. Seriously. She got the sewing machine working, showed us how to use it and stayed with us while we finished our panel skirts. I will always think about this when I hear the word plaid.

2 comments:

Linda said...

that's probably what would happen to me if I tried to use a sewing machine :)

Heather said...

I really want to learn how to use it lol