Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I'm a dance slacker

I came across this post on Facebook by a very dear friend of mine, whom I love very much: Personal admission: If I'm ever going to improve as a dancer, I have to start practicing and dancing outside of classes. There. I said it. Now you all know I'm a dance-slacker.

That is me in a nutshell. Here I sit, not doing anything, when I could be dancing, improving, messing up and starting over. I still sit here. I feel like a horrible dancer only because I let myself feel that way. I freaked out in the car last week, crying and everything, because I felt like an inadequate dancer. Why? Me being me. As you all know, I was sick with past weekend (still have mucus in my chest and head) so I was unable to attend a double veil workshop I so badly wanted to attend. It made me super sad.

I'm just so scared to practice at home because I'm afraid I'm doing it wrong and there's no one there to tell me different. How am I to know?

I've think I've come a very long way in a year of bellydancing. Now, it's just to improve upon it, make it better, keep it going.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would say if in doubt, search YouTube for tutorials. :) Or forums. That is what I do when I'm in doubt about something. Cause usually the experts are on YouTube posting videos or chatting with each other on forums. :P

Anonymous said...

YouTube, music videos, taped performances... that's how Cynnamon taught herself to dance.

When in doubt, imitation is a great way of learning. Get yourself a mirror (regular old full length would help) and imitate what you see on the screen in front of it. :)

The point is to be more comfortable with yourself doing the dancing. Like Linda says, if you look like you're having fun, no one's going to notice that your hand position in your solo is different from my hand position in my solo.

Besides, you've been dancing, what? A year? Hell, you realize I've been dancing since *January 2007*, and I'm only JUST taking this Advanced Class that makes us solo? You've got the guts, the drive, and the willingness to learn and grow... now just give yourself some credit. :) You are more talented than you think you are. <3

Heather said...

@tec2030 I've been slacking on YouTube lately; time to look more

@micka <3

Pam said...

It just like being a musician. You have to practice in order to become better. You may practice it wrong for a week, but you can get that corrected at the lesson.

I would set a timer out and say I will practice for x amount of minutes, and up it from there. You are talented in so many ways and I know if you put your mind to it, you can do it!!