Friday, February 19, 2010

Scared

Why are men so afraid of us?

I'm reading <i>I am an Emotional Creature</i> by Eve Ensler. Read it.

My friend T picked it up to see what I was reading and promptly put it back down. He saw the words Vagina Monologues. He said it was a "chick book". I wanted to punch him in the face.

I want to yell so loudly about our awesomeness, our power, our beauty. I want them to understand that we are women. Do not fear us.

It makes me angry when men belittle me, put me down, make fun of me when I tell them a feminist.

I don't want to speak to soon. I'm afraid I'm a fraud. I'm afraid to speak out for fear of not knowing what I am talking about. I don't want to look like a fool, but I want them to know they are wrong.

Why are they scared of us?

1 comment:

Alison said...

First off, I love Ensler. I actually got my boyfriend to read The Vagina Monologues. I think he understands where I'm coming from more.

Why are men scared of us? Does anyone know? The only thing I can think of is that we intimidate them. And why shouldn't we?

It must be terrifying to be a man and know that there is a whole gender out there taking back control of their own bodies, lives, families, and communities. Women are becoming more influential and powerful within their families and communities all the time. What great strides do men, as a gender, have left?

Do not be afraid to speak out. You are not a fraud. And tell your male friend that Ensler did publish a book for men, written by men.