Friday, January 29, 2010

Not as great as we thought




I'm reading the Feburary issue of Glamour and I came across a very interesting article. Now, before I talk about it, I do feel the need to let you know that I'm not my soap box or high horse or anything else you can think of. I, in fact, use to be one of these people. You know them. They have bronze skin, a great tan. You may even beat little jealous. I hope you're not. It's made out to be so great and wonderful, that you'll look and feel better. It's made popular on television. Fake and bake. Not so great. When I was in undergrad, I use to be one of them. It didn't start off so bad, maybe a few times a month. Then that didn't seem to do it anymore. I would go for longer perids of time in the bed. I would go everyday. It got so bad that my friends would know when I went tannig because they could smell the burnt skin. Yeah, sexy. I know. I knew what I was doing. I knew what it was doing to my skin. Still, it didn't matter. Then one day, I stopped. I, along with my checking account, couldn't take it anymore. It started being something I felt I had to do everyday. If I didn't go, I felt I let myself down somehow. How messed up is that? Really? I'd rather be not tan and health then with one and sick. When are these peope going to lean? What are your thoughts on the matter?

4 comments:

Alison said...

I think fake bake people need to take a minute and step back. Tan skin does not necessarily equate beauty. It isn't worth the long term consequences.

In high school (i.e. 2 years ago), I got teased for having absolutely no skin tone. There are children in Siberia with darker skin tones than me. I tried tanning--but nothing happened.

Now, though, I'm beginning to be complimented on my "porcelain" complexion. I can also take comfort in the fact that my skin will stay this way--pale, wrinkle free, and hopefully skin cancer free--for years.

I think this is worth staying tan-free. Now if only I could convince them...

Muppet Soul said...

I'm with you - but full on my soap box.

I'm a naturally pale, pale person - and when I was a teenager I used to go outside during the summer with no SPF and purposely burn myself so it would eventually become close to off white.

I tried spray tan once or twice, and I smelled like pee. then it kind of clicked how dumb it was in the first place.

So I would say to the tan-obsessed, I guess, if skin cancer isn't enough, if the money or vanity isn't enough, let's just be real and say NOBODY LOOKS GOOD WITH A FAKE TAN. Not one. WE'RE ALL LYING WHEN WE SAY OTHERWISE.

:)

Heather said...

Thank you both, so very much for your comments. I really appreciate them.

Hayley said...

I did it once, to see why all my friends were crazy about it. I couldn't understand. I'd rather lay out in the sun (for free), but I'm even starting to get over that. I'd rather not have skin cancer, thanks. :)