Sunday, December 13, 2009

A lot on my mind

About a week about, my friend said she wanted to start a Bible study group. It sounded interesting, at least to just see what it's like. Tonight, we had our first meeting. There were just three of us there because the three other ladies had plans. Tonight, we just talked about how we wanted things to go. We talked about reading a few chapters a week then going over them the next week; we also talked about having topics to talk about. I learned about a book entitled The Message. From what I understand, it helps you understand the Bible if you are having trouble with the language. I'm glad I decided to come. I guess we are searching and looking for something deeper to believe in, to ground ourselves in. I've always wanted to read and truly understand the Bible.

I was baptized Roman Catholic. Growing up, we did not attend church. I did not have my first communion until I was 14. While there are things I do not agree with in the Catholic church, I like the structure it gives me. A few years ago, I read The Secret. A must read, if you haven't already. It's about sending good vibes out in the Universe and letting it come back to you, living in the now, being happy with yourself today and so forth. I have read a few more books like that. I have become interested in Buddhism. I've wanted to learn more about it. I like the thought of living in the here and now, of being present. I don't think I am very present in my life at the moment. I'm all over the place.

I'm at a crossroads with this. I like the structure of the Catholic church, and I like going to church (though I haven't been in a VERY long time). I'm not a conservative. I don't agree with all the teachings of the Catholic church. I just don't know where to go with this. I don't know where I identify religiously.

Anyone have any advice?

No comments: